Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Yummcious Hummus

First of  all, I would like to apologize to the audience out there this recipe does not have a picture due to several reasons that I will outline later in the blog. However, if you guys out there try this recipe and really like it, please take a moment and take picture and send it to us, we will surely post it with this recipe and will greatly appreciate it.

I decided to make this is for our weekly lab meeting. During the lab meeting, each person gets rotated to bring breakfast to feed 15 people that we have in the lab. This is my first time having to bring breakfast to the lab. Since I am in a tight budget as a grad student, I decided to set a budget for under $10 to feed 15 people. I knew going to get rotated since 3 weeks ago (we have a list of people to when to get rotated), I have started "collecting" breakfast items and formulating my menu based on what is on sale at the store. I have decided to make a breakfast casserole and hummus with french bread. I know most of you out there think hummus is an appetizer, and surely it is, but our lab members love hummus so much that it doesn't matter if it's for appetizer, entree or dessert, they can eat it anytime of the day! (and it is healthy fo ya!)

So back to the seasons that I do not have a picture for this recipe:
  1. I almost burn my blender (I thinks it's a 20 year old blender donated by a someone I know whom I appreciate very much)
  2. Uniqueness of the blender: CAN crush ice and make smoothies
  3. Disadvantage of this old blender: DOES NOT blend chickpeas, mixture is too thick-> blades got stuck->motors still running-> blender began to smoke-> chickpeas eventually got blended
  4. Lesson learned: Time to get a new blender with better motor/ Getting a real food processor

This recipe is fast and easy, should not take as long as I had, serve 10-15

Ingredients:
  • 2 cans chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
  • 4 T tahini paste (a big shout out to Josh for contributing the paste for my dish), can get at spice store
  • 1 T ground cumin
  • 1/2 t cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 t papprica
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 5T olive oil
  • 1/4- 1/2 cup of water or chicken broth (depending how thick you want the mixture to be)
  • salt to taste
Direction:
1. Add all ingredients into the food processor/ blender, and blend until smooth
2. Depending on your spice taste pallet, add more cumin/cayenne as you like 

No comments:

Post a Comment